Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Broken Bones


Nathan has a secret talent.  He is very good at those pop-a-shot games.  He won one last year at a contest at work, which only made him better since he can now play it at home.  So this year his name was drawn to play in the tournament again.  He was very excited about the prize which was an electric scooter.  Of course, he won the entire tournament and brought home his shiny blue scooter.  The kids were ecstatic!  Then on the evening I was having my Pampered Chef party, Audrey fell off of it onto the sidewalk and broke her collarbone.  It was just as the guests were arriving and Nathan had left to take Tyler to a church activity.  Thankfully my sister Joanna was here because she was so calm and knew just what to do.  As Audrey lay on my neighbor's lawn vomiting, Joanna just told me to go get a rag to wipe her off, helped me move her, told me to get ice, not to call 911 and where to have Nathan take her once he got home.  She has become quite experienced in dealing with trauma and I was so impressed.  Even though I have experienced some as well, I still panic when it is my kids.  Seeing Audrey laying there with her shoulder all swollen and strange looking kind of freaked me out.  To make a long story short, it was a rough couple of days getting through the most painful time, but Audrey was a trooper.  We learned that she vomits and nearly passes out when she is in a lot of pain.  But remarkably, she is already back to doing most things normally, just 2 weeks later.  Unfortunately for her, the doctor said no more gymnastics for at least 3 months and for now she is only playing the piano with her right hand.  It was such a blessing that she fell on her left side, not her right, as she is right handed.  So now we say that his prize of a free scooter wasn't so "free" after all!



No comments: